Items from my Etsy shop

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Vegan Thanksgiving: How to Have a Great Tofurky Day!

Coming home from work today, I saw several wild turkeys on the side of the road. They truly are beautiful creatures. This got me thinking about the approaching holidays, and it made me sad to think that one or more of those birds will probably be killed in a few days. For those of us in the US, Thanksgiving is fast approaching. It is a day for getting together with family, enjoying a meal and being thankful for what we have. Unfortunately this meal is traditionally centered around animal based foods, so it can be a tricky day for vegans, especially new ones. This will be my first vegan Thanksgiving. I have discussed the issue with my mother (who has finally accepted my veganism for the most part) and she is more than willing to see to it that there is vegan-friendly food available. She even informed me that the recipe that she has always used to make cherry pie (my favorite) is 100% vegan! That made me VERY happy! However, not all families are so accommodating. You may find that there is nothing for you to eat, that your family members are offended that you won't eat the turkey, or they pester you with endless jokes and questions. It can be enough to make you want to pull your hair out and run away screaming.

The good news is that it is 100% possible to have a delicious vegan Thanksgiving!  The site Gentle Thanksgiving contains many useful resources for vegans, including recipes and tips on how to deal with non-vegan family members. You can check out the site at http://www.gentlethanksgiving.org/

For those of you who can't or don't want to cook, the company Tofurky makes 100% vegan pre-cooked meals called "Tofurky Holiday Feast". These are available in many mainstream supermarkets, so they should be very easy for most people to find. For more info, visit Tofurky holiday feasts

Have a happy, healthy Tofurky day!

No comments:

Post a Comment