Items from my Etsy shop

Friday, September 30, 2011

Welcome to Happy Hippie Vegan Freak

Hi everyone. My name is Sarah and I am a happy hippie vegan freak! Here's a little bit about me and the blog:

I am 24 years old and I recently graduated from a Practical Nursing Program. I'll be taking my licensure test next week and then I will (hopefully) be an offical Licensed Practical Nurse. I consider myself to be a proud hippie. I am a big supporter of midwives, homebirth, and natural medicine. I am a member of the Green party and I recycle and try to be as enviromentally friendly as possible. I even wear peace signs and bell bottoms, and I tie dye my own shirts! I have had people tell me that I should have been a teen in the Seventies, and I often wish that I could have been around back then. I became a lacto-ovo vegetarian ( no meat, chicken, fish, or gelatin) almost a year ago. I am of American Indian heritage and I make and sell crafts. One of my customers approached me and asked me if I could make a vegan dreamcatcher for her. I accepted the challenge and started to look for a vegan glue that I could use. This lead me several websites on vegetarianism. I began to read the articles on the health benefits of a vegetarian diet and how it was better for the enviroment. I thought about it for a few weeks, and then my family took a vacation. We traveled by train in a sleeper car, which meant we got free meals. The train offered a veggie burger and I decided to give it a try. I loved it and decided to become a vegetarian. I eliminated all meat, chicken, fish, and gelatin from my diet. I joined several online vegetarian meesage boards and groups. There I started to read about the horrible way that dairy cows and laying hens are treated on factory farms. I learned that the dairy, egg, and meat industries (which I came to despise very soon after becoming vegetarian) are strongly linked to one another. I realized that I couldn't claim to love animals while still supporting the dairy and egg industries. So, about 3 weeks ago I decided to become a vegan. I am still finishing the left over veggie burgers that I have that contain eggs, but I plan to buy only the vegan ones in the future. I have already given up drinking milk, which was fairly easy because I found a soymilk brand that I LOVE.

I created this blog so that I could share my experiences as a new vegan, and hopefully help other new vegans (or those considering veganism) in their journey as well.

Welcome to Happy Hippie Vegan Freak!

No comments:

Post a Comment